Some of those changes can include a coup d’etat in the country you’ve been planning to study abroad in for the past four months. As of writing this, flights originating from Turkey are not yet allowed to leave to the U.S. Nor are flights from the U.S to Turkey allowed. A sign that things have truly worsen.
After falling in love with Turkish culture and history for the past five years, it’s a bit hard to describe how I feel about everything that happened on Friday. Dear Türkiye describes my sentiments toward the Friday coup d’etat better than what my sleepy brain can currently muster.
I’m not sure if I agree with the coup d’etat but I understand why some segments of the military felt it was necessary. I don’t agree with President Erdogan’s positions on many issues but I understand why some secular Turks felt it was necessary to defend him.
Turks I’ve meet through social media are being vocal about what’s happening in the wake of the failed coup d’etat. As can be expected of a failed coup d’etat, it’s not good.
In a few hours I’m quite sure I’m going to wake up to an e-mail from ISEP stating that all programs to Turkey will be canceled. I’m sure of it. I’ve been waiting since Friday for some type of news. They’re already trying to evacuate current students there.
There is no possible way these programs will not be canceled. And even if they aren’t, even I know where to draw the line between over-hyped media and “hey, this problem has the high likelihood to snowball out of control.” And sadly, Turkey crossed the line on Friday.
If somehow the programs are not cancelled it’s very unlikely my parents and home institution will be alright with me continuing with the program. Actually, they won’t be fine with such a decision at all.
I will soon be contacting ISEP, my home institution, and Air Canada in order to figure out where to go from here.
If I have to postpone study abroad plans for another semester it’s not the end of the world. I’ve got a few semesters left and a stubborn personality.